Anti-Counterfeit Labels & Packaging
July 27, 2020
What is Anti-Counterfeit Packaging and Labeling? Anti-counterfeit packaging is defined as the process of assigning secure packaging to a product in order to minimize counterfeiting or infringement. This type of packaging is designed to be very difficult to replicate.
The market for anti-counterfeit packaging is growing, and will continue to expand into the future. New technologies create significant potential for innovations in packaging. According to MarketsandMarkets, the global anti-counterfeit packaging market is projected to surpass $208.3 billion by 2023 with North America being the largest market generating $65.4 billion in revenue by 2023.
Preventing counterfeiting of packaged products is highly important as advancements in technology and ecommerce selling platforms have enabled the growth of counterfeit products. As a result, these goods are prevalent in a variety of industries including: pharmaceutical, spirits, food and beverage. Counterfeit products negatively impact brand revenue, reputation and even consumer health. Brand in turn need to try to stay one step ahead of the counterfeiters.
Types of Counterfeit Detection
There are three main types of counterfeit detection options available and incorporating them into product and labels provides extra security and protects against counterfeiters.
- Overt: Human visible and readable. Noticeably present to consumers to verify authenticity and includes holographic, foils, and color shifting inks.
- Covert: Machine visible and readable. Hidden security measures and require a device or tool to read such as UV light, scanner or a smart phone to read.
- Forensic: Machine visible and readable. This is a high security measure that is authenticated by specialized lab equipment.
As the level of complexity increases, so does the cost to implement. Advancements in counterfeit technologies are continuing to develop. The level needed will depend on the type of security a brand needs for a particular market and might involve multiple layers of security.
Fort Dearborn’s Anti-Counterfeit Packaging Solutions
There are many package and label options that are designed to protect products from counterfeit. Labels are one of the most recognizable ways for consumers to know that the product is legitimate. This can ultimately improve brand protection, as well as trust in the product’s authenticity. When the consumer knows that a product has a history of being transparent and authentic, they are likely to purchase from that particular brand in the future.
Fort Dearborn Company recognizes the importance of anti-counterfeiting and offers a variety of solutions for brand and product protection. This includes innovations in inks & coatings, material, printing and smart labels:
- Inks & Coatings: Color shifting, Metallic, Motion Coat, Pattern Varnish, Taggants, Thermochromatic
- Material: Destructible, Embossing, Foil, Holographic, Lenticular
- Printing: Unique Codes, Microprint, Watermarks
- Smart Labels: NFC (near field communication), RFID radio frequency identification
Contact us today to discuss how our solutions could benefit your brand needs or to receive samples at: 847-357-9500 or online.